Every cosmetic item in the Marketplace is now freely downloadable thanks to the latest update for Marvels Avengers. Earth’s Mightiest Heroes: Live from Crystal Dynamics only lasted for about three years before it was revealed that Marvels Avengers would no longer receive any support after this September.
Six new playable characters and numerous story missions would be added to the game during that time, but Marvels Avengers never really recovered from the negative reception it received at first.
As a result, it was announced in January that Crystal Dynamics would discontinue all support for Marvels Avengers and that Update 2.8, which was then in development, would be the last update. This means that after Kate Bishop, Hawkeye, Black Panther, the Jane Foster version of Thor, the Winter Solider, and the PlayStation-exclusive Spider-Man, there won’t be any more additional heroes for the game, much to the disappointment of players who were hoping to see She-Hulk and War Machine after learning of their inclusion from online rumours. The good news is that players won’t have to use real money to unlock the game’s numerous alternate skins anymore.
Update 2.8 is now live, according to a tweet from the official Marvels Avengers Twitter account earlier today. Almost all Marketplace items are now free to use after this final update, including the numerous alternate skins derived from the Marvel Cinematic Universe films.
Marves Avengers Update 2.8 also includes a number of final buffs for characters like Thor, Winter Soldier, and Ms. Marvel, as well as a number of changes to the interface and gear system. Update 2.8.1 will contain a brief hotfix that fixes one final problem with Faction Terminal Missions.
A pair of new skins for Marvel’s Avengers are included in Update 2.8, which also removes all character and Outfit emotes going forward. First up is Iron Man’s Variable Threat Response Battle Suit, which resembles War Machine’s armour suspiciously enough.
It is accessible to all players who have attained at least one Marvel’s Avengers Achievement prior to April 1. The second is the outfit that Thor wore in the Avengers 1,000,000 BC storyline, which is based on the armour that his father Odin wore in the prehistoric era.
Marvels Avengers Update 2.8 Patch Notes
- The Marketplace has been unlocked! What does this mean?
- Nearly all MCU- and non-MCU-inspired Outfits, Emotes, Takedowns, and Nameplates are now automatically available on your Hero Card.
- Items that are earned through the campaign, however, or purchased through the Cosmetic Vendor must be earned or purchased, respectively, as they always have been.
- Both the Shipments system and Hero Challenge Cards have both been completely removed from the game. Items that were previously earnable from Shipments and Hero Challenge Cards are included in the hundreds of Marketplace items that are automatically granted when you update to v2.8.
- You do not need to be connected to the internet to be able to access all of the unlocked Marketplace content after updating to v2.8.
- As a thank-you to players who’ve been with us on the journey, we’re granting a special Founder’s Gift – Iron Man’s ‘Variable Threat Response Battle Suit.’ This Outfit will be automatically granted to any player who has earned at least one Trophy/Achievement before April 1.
- All existing Credits balances have been converted to in-game resources.
- Owned Hero’s Catalysts and Fragment Extractors have been completely removed from the game. In their place, there is now a permanent 1.5x multiplier on Fragments earned and XP gained.
- There will be a small hotfix, Update 2.8.1, that goes live on April 4 to address a Known Issue.
REASSEMBLE CAMPAIGN & AVENGERS INITIATIVE
- Friendly fire! AI Companions will no longer target Kate Bishop’s Decoy when it is deployed during certain boss encounters.
- We fixed an exploit where the Winter Soldier could activate the heavy intrinsic attack ‘Blast Zone’ as a heavy dodge attack if ‘Vengeful Ghost’ was not a purchased skill.
- Banter between Jane and Bucky, which wasn’t activating for some players, now triggers when intended.
- We fixed an issue where Black Panther’s ‘Kinetic Boom’ skill was not increasing the damage of ‘Panther’s Dive.’
- Thor’s ‘Rampant Supercharge’ perk now functions properly when ‘Warrior’s Fury’ is activated.
- Hawkeye’s ‘Rocket Arrow’ wasn’t initiating for some players when the ‘Volatile Rockets’ skill was activated, but the ‘Rocket Arrow’ now activates, as intended.
- Switching gun types at the start of a charge animation no longer prevents the Winter Soldier from executing ranged power attacks.
- You are no longer able to use the Winter Soldier’s ‘Press the Charge’ skill without having first acquired it.
- The Mighty Thor’s gear perk ‘Divine Blast Assistance’ now applies intrinsic overload to teammates, as intended.
- The Winter Soldier’s ‘Lethal Rampant Plasma Boost’ perk now grants nanites when intended.
- Ms. Marvel’s ‘Ultimate Lethal Cryo Administrator’ gear perk now applies the correct number of Cryo charges to allies.
- The Ultimate Lethal Plasma Administrator gear perk now grants charges when defeating an enemy on the initial hit.
- The Winter Soldier’s ‘Reactive Gamma Administrator’ gear perk now grants the correct number of charges to allies when using ‘Soldier’s Generosity.’
- Similarly, we fixed the Winter Soldier’s ‘Reactive Gamma Administrator’ perk so that it grants charges, as intended, to allies for hitting enemies with ‘Bloodletting.’
- Both the Winter Soldier’s ‘Cryo-’ and ‘Plasma Administrator’ perks now grant charges to allies.
- Ms. Marvel’s ‘Polymorph Counter Spike’ perk now increases Critical Attack Damage, as intended.
- Kate Bishop’s ‘Explosive Blast Frenzy’ perk now increases the firing speed of explosive arrows, as intended.
- We fixed an issue with Heroes and invisibility where completing a takedown would enable enemy attacks on the player while the invisibility effect was active. That’s not how invisibility works!
GEAR, CHALLENGES, AND REWARDS
- Endgame Mission Rewards (Both OLTs and Raid)
- Superior gear can now be obtained from every completion, not just the weekly rotation.
- Family Reunion and both versions of the Discordant Sound raid now grant up to PL 165 gear.
- Events and Cloning Lab now provide a path to PL 175 gear.
- Gear Upgrading – PL 165 to PL 175
- Resources required to bring a piece of gear from the old PL cap to the new PL cap has been reduced.
- Upgrade module cost is now capped at 150 per upgrade within this range.
- Dismantling exotic gear returns 100 upgrade modules. 50 are returned from legendary gear.
- Nanite charges from Cloning Lab gear now apply status damage via heavy melee attacks. Status build-up has been increased.
- Cooldowns reduced for major artifact active effects.
- Exotic artifact stat scaling improved.
- The Winter Soldier’s skill icons now display properly in the Hero Terminal.
- JARVIS is back online! The Cloning Lab gear reward charges were not always appearing on the HUD when defeating enemies, but charges now display properly.
- Lorem oop-sum! We replaced the placeholder text that appears in Captain America’s ‘Vanguard Charge’ skill with the correct description.
- We repositioned Hawkeye’s Heroic Mission Chain reward icon to appear in the correct place.
ART AND ANIMATION
- When wearing his “Wasteland Warrior” Outfit, Hulk’s right shoulder no longer tears during gameplay.
- The Winter Soldier’s gun no longer clips through his armor during gameplay.
- The Winter Soldier’s muzzle flash VFX now display properly when executing takedowns on dreadbots during multiplayer sessions.
- There’s a glitch in the multiverse! The Mighty Thor now uses the correct Mjolnir when activating her Ultimate while wearing her MCU-inspired Outfit.
- Cap’s shield can do many things, but invisibility is not one of them! We fixed an issue where Captain America’s shield would disappear momentarily when using the ‘Looking Sharp’ emote.
- We fixed an issue where the Winter Soldier’s rifle would appear, stuck to his hand, during several interactions on the Helicarrier (including the interaction with Mjolnir).
- Similarly, the Winter Soldier’s rifle no longer attaches to random props when performing various emotes.
- We adjusted The Mighty Thor’s ‘Unhelmed’ Outfit mesh so that the Outfit displays the correct hair color.
- Bucky’s legs no longer distort or experience clipping with Cap’s shield when using the ‘Passing the Mantle’ emote.
- Captain America’s shield now reseats on his arm properly when activating his intrinsic ability while vaulting.
Fans of Marvels Avengers who have followed the game through its early controversies and post-launch difficulties will find Update 2.8 to be a bittersweet moment because it signals the end of all official support for the title. Marvels Avengers servers will continue to operate for the foreseeable future, according to Crystal Dynamics, so at least these players will be able to take advantage of all of their free Marketplace items after Marvel’s Avengers is delisted in September.
Marvels Avengers is available now for PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X/S.
- CD PROJEKT RED REPORTS GREAT REVENUE YEAR-ON-YEAR GROWTH
- THE LAST OF US PART 1 PC IS BEING CRITICIZED FOR ITS PERFORMANCE ISSUES