Barcelona’s Gabonese striker Pierre Emerick Aubameyang became the victim of a violent armed robbery at his home early Monday morning. Aubameyang receives a hit as he was forced to open the safe at the home where he and his wife kept their jewelry.
Pierre Emerick Aubameyang’s home in Castelldefels, a suburb of the Barcelona metropolitan area, was broken into for the second time in the past two months, however, police said the player and his family were not in the house when the first break-in occurred.
Barcelona regarding the brutal robbery in Pierre Emerick Aubameyang’s home
Barcelona source told AFP, “He is ok now, scared but ok,” after confirming press reports.
Authorities informed Spanish daily El Pais that Aubameyang was hit and was coerced into opening the safe where the couple kept their jewelry. It is also to be reported that the attackers had guns and iron bars, that were used to threaten the player’s family.
At least four men broke into the player’s home and fled in a car, officials said.
A spokeswoman for the Catalan Police, Mossos d’Esquadra, confirms that the robbery in Castelldefels was still under investigation, however, they declined to identify the victim, citing data protection rules.
“The investigation remains open and we are gathering information,” she said to AFP.
His 33-year-old Gabon international, Aubameyang, joined Borussia in the Bundesliga earlier this year after playing for Borussia Dortmund and Arsenal in the Premier League before signing with FC Barcelona earlier this year.
Aubameyang did not take part in Barcelona’s 4-0 victory over Valladolid in the Spanish league on Sunday night. He is one of the players expected to be sold to another team in order to allow the club to make room for the salary cap.
Two weeks ago, Barcelona newcomer Robert Lewandowski had his watch ripped from his wrist when he arrived at the club’s training center for training.
Robberies in footballers’ houses are not uncommon in Spain, but crime usually occurs when the player and his family are away during a match. Past victims are reported to include Casemiro, Alvaro Morata, Gerard Pique, Samuel Umtiti, Jordi Alba and former Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane.
Only a few years back, Spanish police dismantled a gang that was raiding players’ homes during matches.
Read More: Mathias Pogba’s recent vows regarding the revelations about his brother and Mbappe creates an uproar in the football community