Formula One has canceled the Russian Grand Prix which was going to take place in September 2022. The governing authority took this decision following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. The Russian troops have continued their advance on Friday to Ukraine which has caused widespread condemnation as well as sanctions from the world leaders.
Stefano Domenicali, the CEO of F1, along with the bosses of the 10 F1 teams have discussed the status of the race on Thursday evening. On Friday, Formula One confirmed that the Russian Grandprix which was scheduled for September 25, is not going ahead.
Formula One more in this regard
Formula One in a statement said that they are watching the developments in Ukraine with very sadness as well as shock and are hoping for a swift and peaceful resolution to the present situation. On Thursday evening, the FIA and F1 discussed the position of their sport, and the conclusion of that discussion including the view of all the relevant stakeholders it is indeed impossible to conduct a Russian Grand Prix under the current situations.
Rosgonki, the promoter of the Russian Grand Prix said in a statement that the purchased tickets are not canceled. There is no need for getting a refund for the tickets because it is still possible that the GP might take place and be held as previously scheduled.
This statement said by Rosgonki can only happen if things in between Russia and Ukraine get between within a span of 6 months.
What will happen to the race?
Multiple sources have affirmed that the race will not go ahead regardless of seeing the consequences in the next few months. Formula One will certainly try in filling the slot in their calendar with another race.