Lost Ark made its long-awaited Western debut on Steam yesterday, with record-breaking numbers. Tripod Studio and Smilegate RPG are working on Lost Ark, a game that combines Diablo-style hack and slashes action with MMORPG mechanics and content.
It took a long time to develop after being first revealed eight years ago, and it finally launched in South Korea at the end of 2019 following a year of open beta testing. The Russian and Japanese releases followed though Western fans were losing faith until Amazon Games announced a partnership with Smilegate RPG.
Lost Ark could soon overtake Amazon’s own New World, at least in terms of the concurrent online player peak. According to SteamDB, the game reached a peak of 532K players sixteen hours ago, placing it sixth overall after PUBG: Battlegrounds, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Dota 2, Cyberpunk 2077, and New World, and ahead of Valheim.
However, the game is still in its early access phase, which is only available to Founder’s Pack owners. Lost Ark will be released as a free-to-play game on Friday, which means it may easily double or triple the current peak number of continuous online players.
It also has a better chance of retaining users than New World. As of yesterday, Amazon’s in-house MMORPG had less than 50K continuous users, owing to a serious shortage of content (not to mention the continued issues such as bugs and exploits). The MMOARPG’s long gestation period, on the other hand, has resulted in a decent polish and a plethora of content and features. User feedback has been overwhelmingly positive so far (96 percent rating).
DirectX 11 compatibility (which vastly improved performance on most PCs), global chat, unique PvP matches and spectating, and Korean voiceovers as an extra DLC pack were also included in the early access version.
- We are including 15 playable classes.
- To match the Sorceress release in Korea, we will also include the Sorceress advanced class, replacing the Closed Beta option of the Summoner.
- The Striker class has also been introduced since Closed Beta.
- Global Chat has been added to allow players to communicate with others in other worlds of the same server region.
- Each chat room can hold a maximum of 100 players.
- Players can see the previous chat logs before they enter the room and chat messages that were sent when they have logged off.
- Korean VO has been added as a DLC pack on Steam. Please note this only affects spoken dialogue to allow players to experience the original VO of the game. Text options are restricted to English, French, German, or Spanish.
- For a full list of Accessibility features added, please visit our accessibility options article.
- Text-to-Speech Accessibility is available for reading chat messages. Additional improvements have been made after Closed Beta Feedback. To use this feature, players have to activate Windows Narrator outside of the game. Once the “TTS” setting is turned on in-game, chat messages or text typed will be read aloud by Narrator.
- Speech-to-Text Accessibility is available for transcribing voice chat in a Party or a Raid. To use this feature, players must turn on the setting under Game Settings >> Community >> Chat and must participate in a Party voice chat.
- Added the Room Of Growth, which is accessible after completing the Northern Bern World Quest “Afterimage of the Rift”. This feature allows you to experience and learn additional game modes that Lost Ark has to offer, such as mounts, pets, crafting engraving, disassembling, and refining.
- Added Procyon’s Compass – Adventurers will find a menu accessible through a Widget that showcases the active Field Bosses, Ghost Ships, Chaos Gates, and the current Adventure Islands.
- Added Adventure Island – This is a new activity that directs users to islands that are only available during certain times. Once on the island, you’ll be given a co-op quest and must face a boss to receive a variety of rewards.
- Custom PvP matches and spectating have been added.
Amazon Prime members can get an exclusive Lost Ark Battle Pack bundle. The Crystalline Aura, Amethyst Shard Park, and Battle Chest Bundle are included.