Lionel Messi of Argentina and Paris Saint-Germain is largely regarded as the greatest player in the history of the sport, having won numerous professional and individual trophies throughout his career, including a record six Ballon d’Or awards.
Messi has been nominated for the IFFHS Men’s World Best Playmaker 2021 award, which he will compete for alongside Real Madrid midfielder Luka Modric and Barcelona midfielder Pedri.
This is not the first time the 34-year-old has been nominated for the award; he has already won it four times in his career. However, he has not had the best of seasons for the French giants this season, failing to register an assist for his new club despite not playing much as a playmaker since his arrival.
The Argentinian legend had remarkable success in this area of play with Barcelona last season and with Argentina in the Copa America competition in 2021, and it will be intriguing to watch if he wins his fifth such award.
IFFHS Men’s World Best Playmaker 2021 – List of candidates
- Lionel Messi (Argentina, Barcelona/PSG)
- Pedri (Spain, Barcelona)
- Kevin De Bruyne (Belgium, Manchester City)
- Luka Modric (Croatia, Real Madrid)
- Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg (Denmark, Tottenham Hotspur)
- Mason Mount (England, Chelsea)
- Sergio Oliveira (Portugal, Porto)
- Bruno Fernandes (Portugal, Manchester United)